An epoxy floor has its advantages and disadvantages. In this article we explain what’s most important for you. So you immediately know where you stand with epoxy floors.
Advantages epoxy floor
- Epoxy floors are resistant to a large number of chemicals such as solvents and acids;
- The floors are decorative. Epoxy floors are available in many different colors and designs. It is possible to create a concrete look or to sprinkle the floor with flakes;
- Because of the fast application there is only a minimal work interruption;
- Epoxy floors are very easy to maintain. After all, the floors are seamless and liquid-tight and therefore easy to clean, benefiting hygiene;
- Epoxy floors combine well with underfloor heating. Very sustainable. In combination with underfloor heating you save energy and you no longer have radiators in sight, saving space. The floor has no seams or edges, it completely blends into the space.
- Robust. This makes epoxy floors suitable for heavy use and mechanical loads, such as forklift traffic in warehouses, workshops and production areas.
Disadvantages epoxy floor
- Epoxy floors are hard and therefore there is contact noise during walking. For that reason, flexible polyurethane floors are usually used in office spaces and homes.
- Without underfloor heating an epoxy floor feels somewhat cold, similar to tiled floors.
- If there are unevennesses or cracks in the substrate, ripples can become visible in the floor. This only happens if the epoxy floor can no longer bridge existing cracks. The floor adheres to the substrate. It is therefore important to apply epoxy floors only on a smooth surface. If the surface is not even, you must first repair it. HIM has a thixotropic paste based on epoxy resin and lightweight fillers, with which you can remedy unevenness in concrete surfaces.
- Without a finish the floor is sensitive to UV radiation. Fortunately, the UV resistance with 1 or 2 coats of a HIM finish coat can easily be improved.
Want to know more about epoxy floors?
Do you want to know more about our epoxy floors? Then contact us for the possibilities without obligation. You can reach us via +31 (0)251-276300.
Download product information